Handmade Chess Set
The newest addition to Four Leaves lifestyle collection is not only a chess game, but also a true design object: the handcrafted piece immediately catches the eye through its colourful depiction of the Esala Perahera, also known as The Festival of the Tooth. The Esala Perahera is the largest traditional parade within Buddhism and takes place every summer in Kandy, the former capital of Sri Lanka. The knights in the game are for that reason replaced by festively decorated elephants and there are a large number of other direct references to this ancient ceremony to be found when you study the pieces carefully. Once, this chess game was an important showpiece for the elite in Sri Lanka but it is however no longer made today due to the great amount of labour, craft and painting that the production of the object requires. Four Leaves therefore went on a search for a craftsman on the island who was still able and willing to produce it in the traditional way and found Mr.Athukorala's workshop. Together with his team of 12 craftsmen, he brought new life into the chess game, by means of fantastic wood carving and meticulous and colourful painting.
Shipping costs: / Free shipping over €100
- FREE SHIPPING on all orders over €100 to NL, BE, DE, and FR
- For orders under €100, or to the rest of Europe, we charge one flat fee between €5.99 and €14.99. The exact price will be calculated at checkout.
- As a marketplace we ship directly from brand partners, therefore shipping times may vary, and your order may arrive in multiple packages. We ship as local as possible.
- FREE RETURNS on unused, unworn items in their original packaging with the tag still attached (for clothing) within the Benelux and Germany only. Please see Delivery & Returns for more details on how to process a return.
- Chessboard (50 cm x 50 cm)
- 36 pieces
- Every product is entirely handmade and hand-painted and therefore differences between products might occur. Minor imperfections are not attributed to a manufacturing flaw but to the uniqueness and quality of this product.
ABOUT THE BRAND
Why we love it: Fascinated with products that improve sleep and bathing routines, soul-stretching moments that we often take for granted, Four Leaves offers sustainably produced luxury bed linen and bath textiles. What we find really special is that empowering children is at the core of the company. For every ben linen set or towel you purchase, a specially developed sleeping bag or towel is donated to an orphanage in Sri Lanka.
Founded in 2019, Four Leaves aims to contribute to physical, mental and social well-being. From the beginning, the company has taken steps to reduce their carbon footprint. Four Leaves only use 100% organic cotton fabrics, all GOTS certified, and your purchase comes in a re-usable tote bag made from PET bottles collected off the beaches of Sri Lanka.