Winter is not only for chunky knits and warm coats, it’s also the time where your lips chap and your skin starts to feel dry and flaky. Cold weather just doesn’t do your skin any favours.
We asked beautician and clean beauty expert Robin Bergamin about the best way to minimise negative effects from cold weather and discussed how small changes to your routine, can help achieve smooth and soft skin even on the darkest and coldest days.
1. Why did you start using clean beauty products?
I ended up at a beauty salon where only natural products were used. For this, I had to learn a lot about the ingredients of synthetic products versus natural products. Also, I saw the skin improve so much when customers had switched to natural products. So, with that knowledge I could not go back to synthetic products. I think that all products should be natural, this way you support the skin and you don't make the skin dependent on products.
2. What is the number one skin care advice for winter skin?
What is very important to use in winter is a good face oil (such as the boosting serum of SMPL – one of my favourites). It prevents dry and flaky skin as it makes sure that the lipid barrier (that protects your skin) stays intact, so you lose less moisture.
3. How does the colder weather impact our skin?
The skin has a hard time in the winter months due to the heating that is on everywhere. Heat differences between outside and inside cause the skin to lose a lot of moisture. This results in tight and dry skin. Also, in we are more indoors so we get less vitamin D. The skin often becomes more sensitive and therefore needs more attention.
4. What are the skincare routines to swear by to get through this season?
Cleanse every evening with a gel/foam/milk cleanser, followed by a toner (spray this on your face or in your hands and apply with it), serum with hyaluronic acid (SOS serum Madara), rich cream (SMPL cream), eye cream and an oil/serum (boosting serum SMPL). Plus, the multi balm of SMPL is a must for your bag!
5. Lastly, what are your favourite SCOON products and why?
- Cleanser: Gentle Cleansing Melt from Evolve, wonderfully soft and cleanses the skin thoroughly.
- A mask for dry skin: Evolve bio retinol mask, the retinol combats fine lines and is good to use in the winter because you can avoid the sun.
- Serum: SMPL boosting serum, wonderfully rich serum with baobab, rosehip and vitamin E. This serum restores the skin barrier and nourishes the skin with the best active ingredients.
- Moisturizer: Grown Alchemist Age-Repair moisturizer & Madara SOS cream. Both are rich, delicious and not greasy.
- SPF: Madara sunscreen face SPF 30, this tinted sunscreen gives your face a beautiful glow. My clients love it! Also perfect for winter and it is suitable for everyone. On a beautiful sunny day, it is important that you protect your skin against the UV rays, these are ageing our skin (especially UVA which is so strong even when you’re behind glass, UVB causes sunburn).
- Lips: Ilia tinted lip care. No more dry and chapped lips but instead soft and kissable lips.